Autumn Owl

I know it's been quite a while since I have posted, so thanks for sticking with me!  As you might know, I've been taking a ceramics class this semester, which has made it very hard to do my nails, not to mention a complete lack of time and somewhat motivation.  Tonight, however, I was struck with inspiration and knew I wanted to do a somewhat Autumn-themed mani using Zoya's Dea, a beautiful milk chocolate brown.

The design I came up with was just a simple owl face, and I documented to steps for you to follow yourself.  My tools were simple:  Zoya Dea as a base, a black Sharpie, a small paintbrush, and white and yellow acrylic paint.

 First, of course, put down Dea as a base.  I used about three coats.
Next, I added a point in the middle and swooped up to each side, then drew a line across and filled it in with the Sharpie to make up the owl's 'eyebrows'.
Then, using my white acrylic paint and small paintbrush, I dotted on white circles for the eyes.
 Using my yellow acrylic and small paintbrush, I dotted on the beak.
 Here, I did a second coat of both the white and yellow to make them more opaque.  The yellow should have been mixed with white a bit more, not for the color but for its opacity, which isn't much here.
 I then used my Sharpie again to draw in little 'c' shapes for the eyes to leave a glisten in the top rights of the pupils.
Finally, I cleaned up around the edges of my cuticles, and you have your final product!

I thought of doing some little acorns on my thumbs, but I decided to keep it simple like this and not complicate things further.  I am proud of coming up with this design on my own, so I hope you like it!

Thanks, MJ

Posted by JustSomeNailsByMJ | at 12:45 AM

6 comments:

Asami said...

Awww, he's so cute! I really love this! "Dea" is one of my favorites, it's such a great fall color.

Ellen ♥ said...

cute nail art :) first time here. :D I am your new follower hope you will follow me back too and be friends! :)

Madiha said...

awww this is super cute :)

http://obsessiveness4makeup.blogspot.com/

Claudia. said...

Ahh that's so cute!!!!! I love owls- I'm definitely going to try this one. And I love that it is a design that isn't too intimidating to try on myself :D I like the color, it reminds me a bit of OPI Ginger Bells- these are great shades for this time of year bc I think they look so festive.

*Claudia* x
http://emoltofashion.blogspot.com/

Lois said...

Aww so cute! I love owls!

Post a Comment